Saturday, February 19, 2005

You Are My Favorite Friend, Didn't You Know That?

When I was in middle school, my english teacher really liked to play "favorites." At the beginning of the year he would pick a few people (usually the girls on his basketball team) who could do no wrong in his class. These people could spew a few horribly random words onto a peice of paper and still get an A. Meanwhile, my 'staggering works of heartbreaking genious' consistently went unnoticed. This was incredibly difficult for me because my best friend was one of the favorites, and I really really loved to write and would have died at that point to have some of my writing recognized as decent.
I have often been on the other end of the 'favorites spectrum.' The young teacher who supervised my exchange program to Russia thought I was the whip so I got away with a lot of stuff. A prof in college thought I had a voice for radio so an easy A was obvious. After awhile, the head chef at my work grew to love my sarcastic attitude and when I screw up an order it's not that big of a deal. Fabulous, right? It's awesome to be someone's favorite.
Not really. For every person that is treated like a favorite, there is someone out there unfairly being treated like shit. Without exception, every authority figure that I have known to play favorites also plays disfavorites. What is with these people? Why not treat people similarly in similar situations?
Playing favorites = not cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

'staggering works of heartbreaking genious' is a great sentence In fact I'm going to steal it for myself It's to bad that Mad at the World wasn't the catalyst for your blogging carrer.

Unknown said...

Alas, I can not claim "staggering work of heartbreaking genious" for myself. It is the title of my favorite book of all time, by Dave Eggers.