Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Dreaded Dentist

When I was younger, I had some pretty bad experiences at the dentist. They were probably no different than anyone else's, (aside from a root canal that was done incorrectly) but I developed a serious phobia. As a result, I didn't go to the dentist for about 5 years, maybe longer. I knew that I developed some cavities, but I still couldn't bring myself to make an appointment. One cavity in particular started hurting really bad, so I would put that toothache/numbing stuff on it to make the pain go away. After awhile I was putting the stuff on a few times a day. I woke up in the middle of the night one night to a pain like none I have ever experienced. It felt like one side of my face was on fire. I called my mom and she found a dentist in my town that would take me that morning. I had emergency dental surgery, and they removed the infected tooth. Ouch. I was pretty good about going to the dentist after that, but I soon sought out a different dentist. This dentist (the one that I go to now) actually used nitrous, my first legal experience with the wonderful drug. Oh, nitrous!
So this morning I had my six month check-up, which always goes just fine for me except for the driving there part, in which I have to force myself to pull into the office, park, and go inside. The other part that just drives me crazy is the polishing part. That gritty paste that covers a tool that sounds strangely like a drill really makes me want to crawl under a rock.
At least it's over. I have to have some cavities filled on March 8.... then I still have two more, plus a crown, and 3 wisdome teeth to come out. My dentist tells me that I am on the 3 year plan. Yay.
I hate the dentist. I hate myself for not going to the dentist for so long. And ugh, I hate that polish-y stuff. Gross.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Klonopin and Vicoden too huh? I will remember that on March 8. ;)