Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Chonganator

My cat is turning into a royal terror. She has this habit of scratching the side of my matress and my bedding while I am sleeping. She also likes to scratch and bite any toes that might be hanging off the side. She has a scratching post, which she loves, and she also has a "Chonga, NO!" squirty water bottle that she hates. I am to the end of my rope, and something needs to be done with this cat. I can not bring myself to de-claw her as I have read that they take out the top joints of a kitty's toes in order to do so, since the claw is actually attached to the bone. I would never have her bones removed just cause she is annoying, but check these nail caps out at www.softpaws.com. I like the pink ones. So, look for a Chonga near you to have pretty pink nails in the future.

Another annoying feature of my cat: Her favorite hobby is tipping over glasses of water. Once the water is spilled all over the place, she doesn't like to drink it or anything. She usually just runs away. When I first got her, I always kept a glass of water on my bedside table. After being drenched a few times, I now keep a bottle of water by the bed. In my household, we have gotten used to the water tipping activity and tend not to leave any unfinished water glasses lying around. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I had one on my desk when I went to sleep last night. It actually took her awhile to find it, but eventually *clink* and there's water all over my desk and computer. Keep in mind that if it had been a glass of juice, beer, wine, or even milk, she would have not payed any attention. She just loves to tip that water.

Experiment pictured below: How long can a glass of water sit on the ground before Chonga tries to tip it? About 2.5 seconds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personal Opinions. I have heard from people and my vets that SoftPaws are a pain. My Vet will put them on for me but they fall off so fast.
I purchased no scratch strips that are safe for fabrics and no scratch spray. My 2 cats that do have claws haven't touched my furniture since I got them. I figured I'd leave them on for another few months and then take them off and see how it goes.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com is where I found them.

Unknown said...

It took me forever to see your comment but thanks so much for the advice!